Today, I’d like to share my 7 books that entrepreneurs must read list. Because a few things ring true for all entrepreneurs: we need to continue to learn, adapt, and stay inspired and motivated.
If it’s easier, just click the link below if you’d like to watch a video I recorded with the list of books.
Without growth and inspiration, we risk being just a clog in the wheel of our business rather than the leader who elevates the business to the next level.
These 7 books for entrepreneurs are must-reads because they teach new skills, perspectives, strategies, and tactics. Moreover, they’ll keep you inspired and motivated to keep moving forward with your business.
Entrepreneurship is a journey with high peaks of joy, pride and satisfaction—and low slumps of desperation, exhaustion and despair.
As a business coach who works primarily with entrepreneurs, I’ve learned that the ones who have more peaks than lows (and continuously produce quality work and results) have a few things in common. First, they’re my business coaching clients (please excuse the shameless plug-in but I had to). Second they are learners, and lastly, they belong to a larger group of entrepreneurs (professional organizations, clubs, masterminds etc.)
To be on my A-game, I stay “plugged in” as I shared in this entrepreneur magazine. You’ll need to find your ways to stay plugged in as well. Whether you enjoy listening to audiobooks in the car or on a walk, or you’d prefer propping up on the couch with a hard copy, I hope you find these 7 books entrepreneurs must read useful.
First, I’ll give you the list of the 7 books all entrepreneurs must read with one sentence of why it would be great to read. Then, I’ll share a little bit of what I got out of each book.
7 Books Entrepreneurs Must Read: The List
- Everything Is Figureoutable by Marie Forleo: a fantastic book that gives you a great entrepreneurial mindset.
- Building A StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen by Donald Miller. It will help you understand branding in simple and actionable ways.
- This Is Marketing: You Can’t Be Seen Until You Learn To See by Seth Godin. A mindblowing book about business, marketing and life. You’ll never think about business the same way.
- Future-Proofing You: Twelve Truths for Creating Opportunity, Maximizing Wealth, And Controlling Your Destiny In An Uncertain World by Jay Samit. You cannot own a business past 2021 and not own a highlighted copy of this book.
- High Performance Habits: How Extraordinary People Become That Way by Brendon Burchard. This book will help you be the best version of yourself
- One Thing by Gary Keller. You’ll learn how to focus, prioritize, and be productive.
- Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind by Al Ries and Jack Trout. This book will help you understand branding, advertising, and how you can make your business stand out.
7 Books Entrepreneurs Must Read: The Details
1. Everything Is Figureoutable By Marie Forleo
Marie Forleo walks you through your challenges like a wise and ultra business-savvy older sister. Her tone is kind, caring, inspiring and honest. I kept this book on my nightstand and read diligently every evening. It was fun and insightful enough to make me go to bed on time so I could read a few pages. If you feel stuck, at a crossroads or in need of clarity—this book is a must read.
2. Building A Storybrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen By Donald Miller
This book will help you express your story, your brand and your mission in a way that will make clients and customers pick up what you’re putting down. If you are starting a business or looking to freshen up your website, message or mission, this book will be on your go-to tool. In 2020, I started a separate brand. I read this book twice to help me express well the vision I had in my head. It helped me write the copy of my website but also choose everything branding related.
3. This Is Marketing: You Can’t Be Seen Until You Learn To See by Seth Godin
I love this book so much. I’ve read it cover to cover twice and I randomly pick it up and read from it when I can. It’ll give you a holistic perspective about your business and your mission. Reading it, you’ll find clarity, support and many new perspectives. You’ll want to be a better person and entrepreneur after reading this and you probably will be.
4. Future-Proofing You: Twelve Truths For Creating Opportunity, Maximizing Wealth, And Controlling Your Destiny In An Uncertain World By Jay Samit
I feel Like I shouldn’t even be telling you about this book so I will be the only one with the tools and wisdom Jay shares in this book. It’s literally packed with strategy and tactics for the entrepreneurs of our time. It is a book all entrepreneurs must read because you’ll learn things relevant for a start up all the way to insider information from the world of the top business in the world.
5. High Performance Habits: How Extraordinary People Become That Way By Brendon Burchard
This book will help you be on your A-game. You’ll learn how to stay in top mental and physical shape. Plus, it will break down how to stay inspired and motivated. It’s packed with research and practical tips. Brendon coaches most business thought leaders we all follow and has an insane amount of output in the form of educational videos, courses and tools.
6. One Thing By Gary Keller
This is another must-read for entrepreneurs, as it will give you a ton of useful and practical tools. With these tools, you’ll know how to spend your time most effectively. You’ll be more focused and productive. But most importantly—you’ll walk away with some wisdom nuggets on what is truly important in life and business.
7. Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind By Al Ries And Jack Trout
I learned a ton about traditional advertising, and how the big household brands became top dogs. It will help you understand how you can position your brand in a way that your clients understand who you are, how you’re different and, therefore, be the obvious choice. I listened to it on audio while driving and found it amusing and insightful. Since I listened to it, I can’t unsee positioning everywhere in business or in life.
These 7 books entrepreneurs must read are one fantastic tool to help you succeed in life and business. A couple of other key components for holistic success is having your own business coach for entrepreneurs and having a strong community to belong to.
If you feel like my coaching might be a good fit for you, don’t be shy! Schedule a complimentary consultation and chat with me. I might be a bookworm and a little bit of a nerd but according to my 5-star Google and Yelp reviews, I’m also funny 😉 And therefore- not intimidating.
P.S. This is my positioning: a business and marketing coach nerd that’s also funny and non-intimidating.
P.S.S. If you purchased any of this book from the links I shared, I’ll be very grateful and I’ll probably also be compensated with a small commission. (Sharing the links is a tedious task that I never knew I’d need to do as an entrepreneur, but here we are).